- Mercedes Benz Blue Efficiency significantly reduces fuel consumption.
- They reduce the gas usage while maintaining the same level of engine performance.
- A combination of advanced intelligent skills and pioneering works makes the technology possible.
The idea behind the Blue Efficiency is to reduce pollutants. In a way, the company created vehicles that are environmentally friendly. Mercedes-Benz won as Ward’s 10 Best Engines in 2007 and 2008.
The company’s trademark for “The best or nothing” now backed up with another automobile innovation. Mercedes is committed to reducing fuel consumption and carbon-dioxide emissions. Mercedes vehicles are now equipped with engines that are powerful and yet efficient to use. With the Blue Efficiency released, the company targets the real driver usage profiles.
For the new Mercedes-Benz E-Class, the company combined extensive measures. They develop a vehicle for fuel efficiency.
Using the Blue Efficiency technology, fuel consumption reduced up to 23%.
Combination of technological innovation
Engineers team up for the vehicle’s overall performance to make it more valuable. They intensely thought about the power steering, tires, fuel pump and the alternator. Also, they make sure that every component passed qualification.
These includes lightweight designs, new forms and more efficient to save on gas. Even a small amount of change in any of these components adds up to a significant change to save fuel.
How Blue Efficiency system works in a series of steps:
- A diesel oxidation reduces the amounts of carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons emissions
- A catalytic converter begins an initial elimination of oxides of nitrogen
- A filter traps and stores soot particles
- It then burn the soot particles when the filter gets full
- The ECO begin/stop work turns off the motor briefly when the vehicle stops. This lessens the power, especially in urban and unpredictable activity.
- The alternator handling gathers energy from the braking system. It reduces the output from the alternator resulting in lowering gas usage
- The sensor of the battery system checks voltage and temperature levels. These can contribute to effective and better storage.
- Engineers adjusted the tires for optimal rolling resistance. They only need low energy while driving to help reduce gas usage.
Each time the car brakes, the vehicle convert kinetic energy into heat and go to waste. That is why Mercedes includes alternator efficiency system. The alternator handling gathers energy from the braking system. It reduces the output from the alternator resulting in lowering gas usage.
It increases the alternator’s load capacity and the driver’s assist in the braking system. It also improves the braking system. The energy is then not converted into electrical energy. Experts call this condition as ‘recuperation’.
The alternator can switch to no-load operation. An example of this is when the vehicle is moving or when the battery is still full.
This eliminates the load from the drive system. The process saves around 0.1 liters per 100 km. Up to 0.2 liters per 100km when driving within the city. City driving takes more energy when coasting and braking.
Mercedes-Benz created an innovation based on something already existed. They made use of available resources they have.